The Blues

It is always a wonderful rush to see Dr. J and generally a major emotional crash when he leaves. I'm so glad he snuck away from University Town this weekend. It was a completely unexpected visit and we had a great couple days together. Of course, I didn't get a lot of work down this weekend, so I'll be burning the midnight oil for a few nights to get my final grading done--but it was definitely worth it!

One of the things we are both looking forward to when my semester is over and his defense is done, is really talking about the wedding and getting prepared for married life. We are both excited just to continue this journey of being engaged, which has felt a bit on pause of late for a wide variety of reasons. Although it may be tough and intense at times, we are exciting about couples counseling with our officiant and mapping out things like our finances and our plans for the future. And of course, we are looking forward to the fun stuff too like the cake tasting and the honeymoon! It was fun to spend just a little time thinking about all of that this weekend.

Of the many things on pause is choosing our wedding colors. We both said long ago that if we ended up getting married in the fall, our primary color would be a shade of red OR if we were married in the spring, it would be some shade of blue. While we both envisioned a garnet/burgundy color for the fall, we've been at a bit of a loss to pick a shade of blue. We love blues, but there are so many. So for much of the engagement it has been a list of blues that it won't be--it won't be too royal, too dark, too pastel, too powdery, too turquoise. Just a nice medium blue--perhaps with a silvery tone to it.

We've been looking at a lot of blues--marine blue, slate blue--but the colors we have in mind have yet to translate into swatches for potential attire for the wedding party. Until recently. I think I may have THE potential blue.

I went to a bridal show with Mom not too long ago and saw this dress. The show was actually in the same room where we're having our wedding and under the big lights, this blue was amazing. Unfortunately, in the pictures from the website, it is not quite what I remembered. This blue is called teal. Now when I think of teal, I think of a shade that has a bit more green in it. I like this teal because it doesn't have a lot of green it in.

And of course the teal looks different online with different types of fabrics. The teal to the left with the deep V-neck is in a satin/chiffon, while this strapless is also teal in an all satin dress.

So of course soon, Lani and I will have to go to the store and find a style that fits her and check out the fabric in person. She was not excited to hear that we wanted blue because she did not want to be in a Rhoyal Blue and Gold Sigma Gamma Rho wedding. I promised her years ago that I wouldn't do that, but I can't help it that blue is one of our favorite colors!! I do want to find a nice blue that will go will with her skin color. She has a beautiful chocolate complexion and wears all colors really well--but I want to make sure she looks and feels great. And hopefully we can find a dress that she might actually wear again.




1 comments:

RageyOne said...

The blue in the 2nd photo is gorgeous!