In a year of significant firsts for me, tonight I've suffered my first loss--the loss of a student--my student.
Angel was a nontraditional student. She was an older woman of color who had come back to college to earn her degree. This was her senior year as a major in my department. Somewhere along her journey to a degree, she was diagnosed with cancer and had a mastectomy--the pain of which she carried over the brick paths of this campus. I felt privileged to have Angel in my course and was inspired by her presence in the first weeks of the semester as she hobbled from class to class determined to finish her degree. I felt privileged that she had, so early on shared parts of her story and her life with me, and I missed her immediately when she began missing class after class. We kept in touch a bit via email, and I knew that she was still in a battle with her health. Yet she was still oh so determined to finish.
But as soon as I knew her, she disappeared just as quickly. The emails stopped and she never made it back to class. I hoped and prayed the best for her. And I knew that if she didn't finish this semester, her determination would not cease and that next semester she would have her beloved degree. I just knew she wouldn't give up. Angel wouldn't--but her body did.
Tonight's news is just devastating to me. Even though I did not know her well, I had a glimpse of her passion, her courage, her perseverance, and her determination. In a few moments she had touched me, and her life is imprinted on my heart. I pray tonight for her family and friends. I can only imagine how many lives she has touched along the way--I hope each one finds peace and comfort in the time of this loss. I hope that Angel has found peace and rest from the many battles she fought and won in this life and from the pain she carried with her each day. I pray that I will always carry a small piece of her with me as a portrait of true determination and strength.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
3 comments:
I'm so sorry, Mon. We lose so much when we lose people such as Angel. My thoughts are with your campus community and her family.
Oh, I'm so sorry.
(((Mon)))
Much sympathy, mon
Post a Comment