I Might Read a Book

One of the major drawbacks of my institution here in Gorgeous City is the library. I miss the big sprawling research university libraries! Fortunately, our Interlibrary Loan Office is fabulous and has fulfilled all of my assorted requests this year (well all except for one documentary). The challenge becomes figure out what I need ahead of time to ensure that it is here for the time period I need it. That challenge has caused me to order things in splurges. In going through my latest batch today, I realized that I have a book on my desk that I can't remember why I asked for it. I started browsing through the index to see if it had some connection to the articles I've been thinking about. I couldn't come up with anything. So I started to read the preface. The preface actually reminds me a bit of the personal approach I took in my dissertation. As I move into the first chapter, it dawns on me, I'm reading a book--and I'm enjoying it. I haven't enjoyed reading a book since the summer. So I think that this weekend to celebrate getting through that awful pile of papers, I'm going to read the book, If You Can't Be Free, Be a Mystery: In Search of Billie Holiday. Just because I feel like it.

2 comments:

RageyOne said...

That is great! Enjoy your book!

phd me said...

Definitely enjoy that book! It took me a few months to realize that I'm a much happier person if I read something for pure enjoyment every day, even just a chapter before I fall asleep. Of course, I probably shouldn't keep the non-academic books around because they're such a siren on the weekends!

Have to say, my experience with the library at PRU is very similar to yours. I've been amazed at how much isn't there but they have a fantastic ILL system, thank goodness! Since I figured that out, I have books coming almost every week. Of course, do I read them when I get them?...