New Kid on the Block

I'm enjoying this time getting adjusted to my commute and to life on my new campus. It is truly a charming place that reflects all the history and character of the city. Even though it is incredibly hot outside, the thick trees and shaded balconies make the area feel quite pleasant. I think I'm going to like it here. I spent the day working on my classes and just wandering around the library (beautiful new building but I miss all the R1 books--I mean just three floors??) In any event, the transition continues to go quite smoothly.

But as I walked around and got to work today, I was reminded repeatedly that I don't look like a professor. Kids going through orientation were checking me out as I walked by. I stopped by the learning center to see my department's support office and I had to tell the staff three times I was new faculty before she "got it." I ran into a friend of my mom's who works on campus and she couldn't stop reminding how young and little I am.

Maybe it is time I abandoned my fashion sense and donned some frumpy frocks and an ol' fashioned hair cut.

Nah.

5 comments:

colored me said...

everyone in this town keeps asking me if i'm a student as well. arrgh. on the one hand, i'm glad i look young but on the other ... it's get exhausting being mistaken for a student all the time and being carded whenever i want to buy some wine. good luck getting the more 'professorial' look. i'll dress things up when the semester starts.

Mon said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I get carded all the time when I'm with my best friend cuz she's petite like me. But we always say it is going to feel great 10 years from now if it still happens.

Anonymous said...

I understand the frustration of not being recognized for your actual age, or your position. When I began to teach high school, I was 23 and had students that were 18. My dress was a topic of frequent conversation, not because it was inappropriate, but because it was different, and by different, I mean that I appeared to have some sort of fashion sense. I agree with the earlier comment that you can adopt a more "professorial" look when the semester starts. Until then, keep doing you.

Mon said...

Sigh I just don't understand why being fashionable is a sign that you are not an educator. I wrote a long tirade about this when I first started this blog. I'll probably kick things up a notch when the semester starts, but so far it seems like my entire style is so different from the folks in the dept. (with the exception of my chair who wears and shirt and tie everyday even when its blazin hot).

melyssa said...

nah, never that! i bet the students will relate to you more because you're young and fresh instead of old a grumpy!