Lovely Day

A day with a 109 degree heat index would not normally qualify itself as a lovely day in my book. But despite the dense heat and humidity that fogged my sunglasses everytime I stepped out the door, I had a quite lovely day. I woke up this morning and made myself a delicious strawberry-blackberry smoothie for breakfast and headed down to campus. I was a little late for my meeting because I couldn't find a parking space (I can't wait to get my permit) but I called ahead and my appointment helped me find a place to park. Today was office set-up day. I rearranged the furniture and my new computer (with a beautiful widescreen monitor) was set up. Then I just sat in my office. In my office. I remembered that I needed to go by the departmental office to pick up some office supplies and there was a pleasant surprise in my box--a nameplate for my door that says Dr. Mon. Dr. Mon is officially at work. I'm home on my new work laptop--blogging wirelessly for the first time in New School City. It's a Friday and I should do nothing, but I feel like working on my classes and backing up my home computer.

The bad news of the day is that my home computer fried all my USB devices so unless I want to pay for data recovery (upwards of a $1000 is the estimate I got today), I have lost my daily dissertation drafts. I have copies of the submitted drafts I turned in on my university server, but the little changes I made on a day to day basis were only on those two external drives. That sucks. I should have burned everything on a couple CDs like I planned to before I moved, but moving got in the way. I don't really need those drafts, but it sure would be nice to have them back. So in the words of Ragey--back up, back up, and back up again!! I'm going to see about backing up my home computer to this new laptop and then backing them up again on this university server. That'll be enough to keep me busy tonight. And even with the work I'm giving myself, it is still quite a lovely day.

0 comments: