How Would You Feel?

Let's just put it out there--I don't like talking about my feelings. It is a frustrating process. It is uncomfortable because I have no practice in it. Growing up, I was "the listener." Everyone always told me about their issues--and I listened. I was kept abreast of the changing social lives, self-esteem issues, and growing pains of all my high school classmates and most of the girls on my hall freshman year. After that first year of college, I realized I had had enough. It was too much. My open door policy ended and my circle of friends got smaller and smaller. But in reality, I guess it was always small--there were never more than one or two people in my life who I actually felt comfortable sharing my life stories with. And even still, I didn't then, nor do I now, like to talk about my feelings. The crazy thing is that I feel everything--intensely. I'm probably one of the most sensitive people I know. Not sensitive as in every little thing makes me emotional, but when I do feel something, I feel it DEEPLY. But trying to explain/describe/relate/review/reveal those feelings to some one else is just plain frustrating and often feels impossible.

I've been frustrated for the past three days about a simple question my grandmother asked me: How would you feel about sending your "daddy" an invitation to your graduation celebration? I should have seen it coming from a mile away--this same issue came up when I graduated from high school and from college. But I was completely confused when she told me she wanted to ask me something but wasn't sure how to ask me/didn't want to upset me. My immediate fumbled response was that I didn't even have any invitations together but that if I did make some, I'd give her one to give him--or something like that. She let me know that some of my cousins were asking about it--how I would feel about that--and said she thought it was time for folks (meaning my parents) to put aside the past. That I oughtta know him--because after all he is my "daddy." She tried to explain that she was just caught in the middle of "it" and that "it" wasn't my fault. Now that I was grown I could make my own decisions about "it." So she thought it would be a real good thing for me to send him an invitation and to get to know him as it is something that she and "Linda" (the girlfriend?) have wanted for a long time. Ok Grandma. I nodded--I smiled--I left.

I knew I didn't answer her question because I don't know how to even try to express those feelings and that frustrates me to no end. The biggest problem is that I've been living with this unknown "it" all my life--the thing that caused my parents to separate shortly after my birth. I'm twenty-some-odd-years-old, and I still don't know why I've know my biological father--wouldn't even recognize him on the street--because "it" is a secret. "It" happened--and the mystery surrounding "it" makes it hard not to feel like the "it" was me. The hushed tones, the coded language, the lack of responses to my questions--over two decades of living with "it" has left me feeling rather numb. I can't even bring myself to be sad any more. I leave the feelings of anger and confusion to my friends who love me and who wonder how I could not know a man that lives a few miles away from me--a man whose mother I used to stay with every summer and still go see just about every week. I leave the feelings of hurt and resentment to my mother who is suspicious of every man I date because of "it." And I'm left with feeling nothing (or an unidentifiable something)--and feeling it deeply.

I know the fact that the question is staying with me means something. I haven't even talked to Dr. J about it yet--partly because I know he'll put on his therapist hat (one of his many professional skills) and ask me how I feel. I am lucky to have a compassionate man in my life who cares about my feelings. But I guess in this whole situation, I wish someone would just tell me--how should I feel?

6 comments:

melyssa said...

i would feel angry, betrayed, confused ... a lot of things. i don't think there is one right way on how to feel about this. how you feel is how you feel (so profound, i know.) and you're entitled to whatever feelings you may have. it's your graduation, your celebration - a result of all the hard work you put in ... so, i would say do whatever makes you feel (sorry) comfortable.

good luck. and happy graduation celebration!

RageyOne said...

I kinda understand where you are with the notion of expressing your feelings. I'm the same way, in a sense. I don't easily express how I feel about some people/situations when I feel as if it may cause hurt to myself. I'm really trying to get away from feeling like that, but it is a difficult process.

That is a dificult situation to be put in. I would wonder why, after all of this time, he would want to be involved and whether or not it could be explained to me. It seems that it is at the crux of the reason why you have not had a relationship with him and has also caused some grief on your Mom's part (in beeing leery toward men you are involved with). All in all, it sounds like the air needs to be cleared.

I do hope you get some clarity on the issue so that you can enjoy this celebration!

Anonymous said...

2 cents (and just that): I think it is easy to forget that--just as we are continuing to go through developmental stages as young adults--our elders are going through developmental stages at their ages. Your father may be at a stage now where he feels like...whatever he feels like that entails attending your graduation as part of it.

But that issue is his issue. If his developmental need for contact does not match yours, you need not necessarily feel any responsibility to help him achieve his tasks. Of course, part of this is that you will have to take responsibility for whatever feelings you may have later as a result of such a decision. But then you'd have to do that no matter what.

There was an excellent article in Essence a while back by a woman going through something similar. I can't remember the details now, but I was pretty moved by the story.

Anyway. Like I said: 2 cents, from someone slightly older (but not necessarily any wiser) than you! Bottom line is what Melyssa said: It is your graduation.

Stewgad said...

God, isn't family stuff great? I particularly love how it always crops up at those moments of major importance and maximum stress. Why didn't he try to get in touch 6 months ago, when you weren't having all of these life transitions to deal with?

In my family, this kind of shit hit the fan when I got married -- and in typical sitcom fashion, my mom said she'd understand if I wanted my dad's new wife there, but that she couldn't come. My dad said that if his new wife wasn't invited, he wouldn't come. I was just pissed. Then, one day when I called my dad, I talked to new wife. She said the most reasonable thing. She said she didn't need to come to the ceremony. She'd come to town to support my dad, but that she wanted it to be my day, not a day for my parents to continue to bicker. It was lovely. Probably the nicest thing she ever did for me.

So, I echo Melyssa. (And my dad's new wife...) It's your day. You get to decide what happens or does not happen -- and who gets to be there and who doesn't. Hopefully, someone in this situation will offer a voice of reason that shows that they understand that it is your day. But, if not, do not let your family pressure you into anything you don't want. Particularly on this day of celebration that is about your major achievement.

On a longer time scale, like at a time when you're not moving, and starting your first year of teaching, and graudating, etc. Maybe you need to pursue the "It" -- the elephant in your family's room, if for no other reason than to relieve your anxiety about the unknown. Knowing the It might help you have better information so that you can make more informed choices about how you want your relationships with your family members to look, regardless of what anyone else wants for you.

Good luck sorting this out. I feel for you.

Professing Mama said...

Your grandma didn't ask a "simple question." She asked an incredible diffcult, loaded one, as evidenced by her hedging that she didn't want to upset you by asking it.

I think Yvette makes a good point about the "developmental need" issue. I'm going to build on that, but spin it in the direction I think ~b*b~ was going. That is, I wonder how much of this is coming from HIM and how much is coming from GRANNY. Unless I missed something, you don't know that he is the one hankering for an invitation. It sounds to me--based purely on this post--that the hankering is coming from Granny and possibly your cousins (who you alluded to here as well).

As others have said, you have to do what feels right FOR YOU--not what feels right to your granny, your cousins, your mom, or anybody else. Do you really want him there? Do you want the first time you meet this man to be at a very public event--an event that should focus on your wonderful achievement?

I guess the way I worded that question puts my opinion out there, but oh well. I just think meeting him would be hard enough, and the complications of having that happen at a party are big. Then throw in the fact that if it doesn't go well, that will put a huge damper not only on what should be YOUR day, but also on your memories of this achievement and its celebration down the road.

Again, though, you have to make the decision that feels right for YOU--not what your family members or bloggers like me say! :) You know we will support you and be here for you, no matter what you decide.

Good luck. This is a tough situation.

Mon said...

Thanks ladies for all the insightful and thoughtful comments--I do appreciate your words.