Still Standing *Barely*

No, it is not the ongoing drama of family secrets weighing me down--it is packing. It is moving time. Time for me to get to New School City. The reality of what I need to accomplish this week really set in tonight as I begin pulling my old apartment boxes out of the places they have been tucked away for the past year. The attic, under beds, in the backs of closets, outside in storage--I didn't realize I had so much stuff already tucked away. But truly, I'm really barely standing after the 10 hour shopping bonanza I had with my mother yesterday. 10 full hours in 90+ degree weather and scattered thunderstorms to get the bulk of the furniture and accessories I still needed for my new place. I never knew my mother could outshopped me but she definitely took me to school yesterday. We went all across and around Southern City--I've lived here all my life and there were sides of town I had never seen until yesterday. The damage at the end of the day:
  • Loveseat and Chair Sectional
  • Coffee Table
  • 5 Lamps
  • Bathroom Rugs and Decorative Towel Set
  • Bathroom Accessories Set
  • A snazzy new Blender
  • Black 5 drawer Chest
  • New pillows
We went to about three times as many stores as the list suggests. But the time with my mom was good, and we got everything I really needed to have right now except for a good desk for my home office. I saw one I kind of liked, and I just found it online at another store for less, so I will probably go ahead and get that one tomorrow. And as far as spending money goes--that will be that (I think my mother rather enjoyed spending my money for a change yesterday!)

So the major project for the rest of this week will be packing up clothes and books. Unfortunately, I have quite a bit of both of those so it is going to be a long week.

3 comments:

phd me said...

Yes! Where does all this stuff come from? I thought I did a great job of purging nonessentials before I moved but I still have boxes of bits to go back into the closet.

Good luck with all the packing. And wow! to all the shopping! I'm a little jealous, I must admit. Somehow, buying matresses and a bed frame for the guest room doesn't really generate much excitement. :)

Sorry, too, about all the family drama you've been enduring lately (I'm a firm believer that family = drama). I know you'll manage it all with your usual grace but I wish you didn't have to deal with it right now. Thinking about you!

RageyOne said...

Oh my! Ya'll were busy!

colored me said...

those darn books! the packing nightmare of all academics. just remember to pack those boxes light. it also helps me to keep the book boxes open awhile and fill the extra space with light, miscellaneous items that seem to pile up somehow just as you think you're finished packing ; )
good luck with the move.