Let's see, where did the time go??:
- I finished the majority of my unpacking. The sofa company replaced the torn couch that they delivered when I moved in, but when they brought my new coffee table, it was damaged as well. So I'm still waiting on a new table. Sigh.
- Something is wrong with my personal laptop. It won't read any USB devices and it takes forever for Windows to load. In attempting to save the files that were on it, I discovered that the CD Burner no longer works either. Fortunately, I have my new laptop from the school and I finally figured out how to upload all the files from my old computer to this one. I still have not been able to recover my lost dissertation files though.
- My graduation invites were a big hit with the grandmothers--I can't decide which one is the proudest--they are both walking around like peacocks. I got to see both of them this past week when I went home to get my hair shaped up.
- My regalia is very regal--It was delivered to my hometown address so my mother has been taking care of it for me. I love my robes--they are going to be a pain to wear in this heat, but I'm looking forward to walking in them next Saturday, and wearing them again in a few weeks for our opening convocation.
- All of my paperwork has finally been processed from HR, so I was able to get my new ID card yesterday and made my first trip to the library (where the nice librarians all called me Professor Mon). I'm still looking for a few texts for fall, but mostly at this point, I'm trying to finalize my booklist for my spring seminar.
- I'm also trying to get the sources I need to finish this book chapter revision. My co-author has completely left this in my lap (she's gone out of the country) and I'm struggling with what to do to make this work.
- I've learned that there are a few too many stairs to climb to get to my office. But I love being in my office. They are prepping it right now for a good cleaning, so I probably won't be in there much this coming week. I need to spend some time figuring out what I want to put on the walls. Part of me wants to put up some real militant Black posters, but I don't want to scare the children. Any suggestions on office decorations??
- I've watched quite a bit of TV since I've been here. Why did I sign up for all these channels????
- I had a wonderful time meeting some faculty members and students of color yesterday. There was a minority student program that I stopped in on, and I was given the opportunity to introduce myself to the students. It was cool to see their reactions to me--an combination of disbelief, excitement, and admiration. After the program was over, a few of the students in my major came to introduce themselves to me. More than anything else that has happened since I've arrived, meeting those students made me feel like I'm in the right place--like this is the one thing more than anything else in the world that I'm supposed to be doing right now.
- Dr. J and I met a year ago yesterday. He sent me beautiful roses yesterday morning and they are just gorgeous. It was rough not having him here yesterday--that was the only downside to this week. But fortunately I'll get to see him soon. We haven't been out on a date in a while, so I'm looking forward to us finding some nice romantic spots here in New School City. This city is known for its great food, so I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time trying out places while I'm here and finding "our" spot.
All of the business of the week has been great, but scary. This is just the beginning.
6 comments:
I'm having trouble with "time" that troubling fiend, as well, but it sounds like you're doing great. Re: the office. I was lucky to save some one-of-a-kind posters that also relate to my research, like a human rights film festival poster, and a poster from a conference in Eritrea on african language literature... so I've put those up, so I won't dissuade you from your poster-wishes. I kind of like objects too - A glass vase with flowers once in a while is a nice touch.
it's good to hear that things are going well for you. i'll be walking across the stage next saturday (12th) as well!
office decorations ... if you want to go a little militant ... maybe that poster of the black guys at the 1968 summer olympics. i love that one. off topic, but have you read walking with the wind by congressman lewis? it's a great autobiography about the movement.
anyway, congratulations on everything!
If you're looking for neat decorations, I always think that antique (or antique-looking) maps are cool...but I would not be afraid to post whatever fits with your research interests. Its your office, so be true to yourself!
My site: http://historyenthusiast.blogspot.com
I'm glad to hear things are going so well. :)
Happy belated anniversary. Dr. J sounds like a very cool man.
Hey! It sounds like things are coming together for you in New School City. That is great news.
I can't wait to hear about your commencement ceremony (and yes, those robes are really hot!).
I have a couple old family type things in my office, along with the usual research related stuff. One's a hammer head with my great grandfather's initials on the side, and another is a memento of a famous building. They remind me where I've come from, and also give my students a sense of me.
I also have some office toys, just silly things, but they have their place.
Go militant if that's what makes you happy! And remember that you can always change things around, move stuff to and from home. It's not like an office is a permanent installation.
Post a Comment