Yesterday morning, we were a little slow getting started--we actually slept for a while which was good. We danced to the anniversary song and got out and ran a few errands. We went to see Ricky Bobby and laughed as loud as we wanted because we had this big stadium theatre all to ourselves (it was about one in the afternoon). Our plan was to catch an early dinner at the first restaurant we ever went to here in New School City (a beautiful place on the waterfront). But right after we left the movie, a huge thunderstorm came up. It was pretty bad and delayed our dinner plans an hour. Fortunately, the restaurant screwed up our reservation time (they had us down for 7:00 instead of 6:00) so we when arrived, we were actually on time. Dr. J and I had a wonderfully romantic dinner--just like our first time there and the rain looked like it was going to let up, but it only did a little.
So we had a bit of a quandary. Our first visit to this particular restaurant was followed by a walk on New School City's famous downtown waterfront area. I really wanted to go down and sit at the pier so I said let's go anyway. It really worked out that it was raining because that kept the tourists away. It is a beautiful spot on the water where it is normally hard to get a seat (and it is a covered area so it was dry where I wanted to sit and look at the water). So although Dr. J was acting a little agitated about the rain, we finally got a parking space and got settled downtown at a nice spot on the water. The rain also meant that there was a cool breeze, so we just cuddled together and talked about what a great day and great year we had together. We were just floating in our own sweet confessions of love as Dr. J began to tell me how he wished the night could end--with our favorite group singing to us:
As we talked about how wonderful that would be--a perfect ending to our day, Dr. J began to deliver for me a beautiful poem about how much he needed me and loves me. When he finished, I was (I thought) floating as high as I possibly could be at that moment. It was just so wonderful to be sitting in the middle of a beautiful night with the man that I love by God's big beautiful ocean. And as I was all caught up in the moment, in his love, in the night, Dr. J suddenly dropped to one knee and asked:
Mon, will you marry me?
My mouth dropped open--I think I actually first said "shut up" because I couldn't believe it. I was in complete awe as I began to laugh and squeal and kiss him and say Yes YES YES!! as he slipped the most perfect ring in the world on my little little finger. It is perfectly classically me in every way:
I LOVE the details of the ring--I keep finding little things about it that I love:

And man it is hard to show in a photo, but this lil bling bling sparkles--it is just perfect for my little hand:

Dr. J knows he could have given me a rubber band and I would be happy, but it is so nice to have a man in my life who not only loves me right, but also knows me--knows my taste and knows how to make me grin like a giddy schoolgirl. We laughed, we cried, we just had a wonderful night out on the pier and of course, it stopped raining as we sat there. That gave us a chance to walk around downtown, make important phone calls, and duck into a nice restaurant for a little Riesling and dessert. We came home and danced some more, and in the surprise of the evening, I had forgotten to give Dr. J his anniversary present and card--which he enjoyed very much.
It was a day I'll never forget. I feel like a princess, and I'm not coming down from this cloud for a while. I can't believe so many things are happening in my life right now--I feel so lucky--so blessed. I never thought I'd be here. But it feels great. It feels like a fairy tale and I love it.

26 comments:
OMG! I am so so so so happy for you!
Mazel Tov!
Congratulations! The story and ring are exquisite.
oh my god! wow!
that ring is so art deco, i love it!
!!!!!!
Congratulations! What a lovely way to begin the new year.
congratulations!!!
YAY! This is great news. Congratulations!
OMG! Congatulations! I am thrilled for you, just thrilled! And the ring is gorgeous--just like you!
Again, congrats to you and Dr J!
Kennedy said....
Much love and many blessings to you both!!! I am soooo excited and happy to know true love still exists...I can only hope I will experience something half as special as yours...See you both at the wedding!!! :)
All the best to both of you! Doubters: See what good things can come your way once you complette your dissertation? LOL
congratulations! gorgeous and i will celebrate our second engagement anniversary on monday (the 14th). the ring is beautiful. i am soo soo happy for you.
may you, too, enjoy this new phase of your life!
Oh that is wonderful news! Just wonderful! I'm really excited for you! I love the story and that ring is simply gorgeous! Best wishes to you both.
I knew it!!! I knew it as soon as I started reading this post!!! Oh, I am so HAPPY for you! Such wonderful news, Mon, for such a wonderful person. I must say, Dr. J has exquisite taste - in rings and women.
Oh, now we get wedding posts!!
Congratulations--what a wonderful story (and gorgeous ring)!
Delurking to say many, many congratulations to you and Dr. J! That's wonderful news...
I have been reading your blog for about 8 months- for dissertation inspiration (and following you and Dr. J's adventures) and when I started reading this I just knew the big day had come! This is so exciting- May God continue to bless the both of you....K.R.
Delurking to wish you congrats. What a beautiful story!
Wow. Your engagement is the icing on the cake. Blessings to you!!
Felicitations!
Mon- I'm so excited!! Let me be one of the first to welcome you to our CRAZY family!!! - Shawan
Mon, I had to submit a comment. Congratulations, thank you for being a part of us. I echo Shawan, we are CRAZY, but we are more LOVING. Love 'ya.
I love the leaf details in the ring :-). Thanks for sharing with us. Wishing you and Dr. J lots of happiness and a blissful life ahead.
Particularly loved how you worked in the bit about never thinking you'd be here but are. Made me smile because I think so many of us think these things but somehow there is always a happy ending. Congrats again on yours. Can't seem to stop saying it....really happy for you Dr. Mon.
What a heartwarming post. Congratulations!
Congratulations!!! What a wonderful proposal!
I'm just catching up with my blog reading, so please accept my apologies for not congratulating you sooner.
Congrats! (It's a gorgeous ring, too.)
Congrats....love the ring!
Post a Comment