Ok, too much dissertation on the brain. Yes I study women in leadership so I'm biased, but I'm disturbed that there are virtually no women in this "famous leader" quiz. Of course, when I took the quiz they said I was the woman so I looked to see what other options there were. No other women. Very disappointing but leads to some important questions for me...
What does a woman have to do to be considered a "leader"? If this quiz defined it--apparently you have to practically be a saint. Who are the women we most commonly associate with leadership? What do they have in common?
Obviously, these quiz is not serious and the images invoked are iconic. But maybe my real question is--why aren't more women iconic images of leaders? I mean for me, I would think that Harriett Tubman for example would be a great icon of leadership. Leadership in the face of adversity--leadership for the cause of freedom--hallmarks of iconic leadership right?? Why is it that we still have a such hard time seeing women in the public role? I mean look at all the flack Hillary and Condoleezza get compared to their male counterparts-and they do even have to "do" anything--just existing seems to be enough to send someone on a talking heads rampage. The days in which women could not speak in public have long passed in most of the world, but still here in the US there is still a resistance to see women as leaders. Why???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(177)
-
▼
October
(26)
- One More Out My System
- All Gone!
- Sleepy Sunday
- Done with Job Hunt--Phase I
- Revising Day
- How Did They Know??
- Good Week
- On Location
- Working Weekend
- Being Scholarly/Being Me
- Wilma
- I'm Still Smart
- Going on the Market, Con Accent
- What's a Girl Gotta Do
- Getting Back on Track
- Going to Campus
- Needs Meme
- Frankie Works, I Don't
- Commemorative Stamp for Hattie McDaniel
- Back on the Blog
- Two Applications OUT!!
- Well You Betta Work Hard
- Close Call
- Constance Baker Motley
- Step By Step
- I Wrote That?
-
▼
October
(26)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
0 comments:
Post a Comment