Today I had a good talk with one of my dissertation advisors about my diss and about my job prospects. She and I mostly converse via email, so it was nice to connect via phone again. And the first thing she says to me--"I love the accent." It's been at least 10 years since I've been told I have an accent and apparently, "it's cute." I knew that being home was rubbing off on me, my rate of speech is faster and the tone of my voice is higher at times--but I hadn't thought about the accent part. I'm cool with it now and in many ways it was a nice compliment. When I was younger, I took pride in the fact that everyone told me I didn't sound like a Southerner--I hated being from the South as a kid. But the longer I was away from home for my degrees, the more I missed the South and the more I identified with being a Southerner. Now the Southeast feels like home, and for the first time, I'm ready to embrace an important marker of being home--the good ol' Southern accent.
BUT
I had not thought about being on the market with an accent--especially a "cute" one. As if I didn't have enough markers of difference already. As I mentioned previously in Becoming a Professor, there are quite a few issues that prospective faculty of color must consider. Now consider the various perceptions, misconceptions, and potential exoticism of a (cute) Southern accent. Granted, this issue could never be as severe as the challenges faced by non-native English speakers. But the compliment I received today is a good conversation starter for thinking about social roles and stereotypes. I wonder if this is still an issue in today's society. The issues of accent/voice relates to my post from yesterday on women in leadership. Studies of women politicians and women in corporate leadership have shown that women with high, "cute" voices are not taken as seriously as women with more low tones in their voice. Do you notice that sports networks rarely hire women with higher voices as anchors--if you're a woman with a high voice you are (literally) on the sidelines. But anyways, it strikes me that theremight still be some residual stereotype that someone who sounds too "cute" is therefore not intellectual. Have we, as contemporary forward-thinking academics, transcended that?? I wonder.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(177)
-
▼
October
(26)
- One More Out My System
- All Gone!
- Sleepy Sunday
- Done with Job Hunt--Phase I
- Revising Day
- How Did They Know??
- Good Week
- On Location
- Working Weekend
- Being Scholarly/Being Me
- Wilma
- I'm Still Smart
- Going on the Market, Con Accent
- What's a Girl Gotta Do
- Getting Back on Track
- Going to Campus
- Needs Meme
- Frankie Works, I Don't
- Commemorative Stamp for Hattie McDaniel
- Back on the Blog
- Two Applications OUT!!
- Well You Betta Work Hard
- Close Call
- Constance Baker Motley
- Step By Step
- I Wrote That?
-
▼
October
(26)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education8 years ago
-
*waves*9 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
1 comments:
I've lived in the South all my life and I'm like you, I don't have much of an accent. Every now and then it comes out (mainly when I'm angry or excited about something). It comes out more when I'm home among family (I currently live a good ways away from my home and native accent). When people find out I'm from south LA they are amazed that I don't sound like it all the time.
I find that several of my friends have really strong Southern accents (they are from a different part of the South) and they are white. I wonder if that will have an affect on their prospects for an academic position.
Post a Comment