Commemorative Stamp for Hattie McDaniel

In early 2006, the USPS Black Heritage Series will issue a new stamp in the honor of Hattie McDaniel, the first African American to win an Academy Award. I'm happy to learn that Sigma Gamma Rho will be a part of the work to honor our distinguished soror, and I wish I could be in Chicago for the unveiling event this weekend. (The man in all the movies, Terrence Howard, is scheduled to be a part of the unveiling). Kudos to Sigma's International Grand Basileus, Dr. Mynora J. Bryant, my dear International First Grand Anti-Basileus, Joann Loveless, Soror Frances Frazier, and everyone in this important tribute.

I recently read that there is a new scholarly monograph out on Hattie McDaniel, and that the author has been working to recover Soror McDaniel's missing Academy Award. I will have to check out that book for my next "fun" reading project. I would love to use something on McDaniel for a future course...

0 comments: