Well, I got the introduction out of my system, for the most part. It's now one good revision away from going off to my chairs. On track to send it off by my 27th deadline--YEAH!! Need to step away from it for a couple days though so I'm off to work on Chapter Two.
I'm tired, but must get-it-done. The opening paragraphs to Chapter 2 are drafted. I woudl still like to find some type of a quote or anecdote to open the chapter. The purpose of the chapter is to give a survey of Black women's political rhetorics; the chapter does similar work to the introduction of another one of my favorite books--Shirley Logan's We Are Coming. My goal is to give an overview of the history, developments, and growing diversity of Black women's political expressions. Since my study is going to focus so narrowly on formal, elected politics, I think it is important to show that there is a diversity of political expressions by Black women that extend far beyond electoral politics and goes back much farther than the Voting Rights Act/civil rights movement. Sometimes when I read the literature, scholars paint this picture that Black people did not become politically active until the 1960s. So I want it to be clear in my work through this chapter that by no means did Black women's politics begin with Shirley Chisholm.
Chapter two will have four major sections. Tomorrow, I will tackle the first section, which gives an overview of Black women's rhetorics prior to emancipation. Since nineteenth-century rhetorics were my area of study for my MA, it will be fun to get back to writing about my first love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(177)
-
▼
July
(23)
- It Seemed Like a Good Idea
- Is Fashion Anti-Intellectual???
- Teaching Portfolio
- Chapter One--OUT!!
- Must Finish Revisions
- Back In Town
- Needs More Revision
- Saturday's Goal: Revise Ch. 1
- Hooked Up, Proper
- Are We Writing Yet??
- Chapter 2--No Pages!!
- Putting Down Chapter One
- Sundays Will Be Optional
- Chapter One Moving Along...Slowly
- Friday Goals: 1.5 out of 3 so far
- Thursday--Progress
- Major Cleaning, Major Thinking, Minor Writing
- I Should Write
- Back on Land
- And Then This Hurricane....
- First Day at Sea
- Florida is Beautiful!!
- 24 Hours In A Day...
-
▼
July
(23)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
0 comments:
Post a Comment