Well, the 27th is over and I've officially missed my first self-imposed deadline. I've been going at these revisions all day and I'm still not done. I did sidetrack myself a little earlier today looking at the latest job positions and thinking about possible postdocs. Today I had my first real moment when I thought I might actually go on the job market in September. There is a posting for a position at a very nice Southeast University that I would love to teach at. But, the call is for a social scientist in an area about as far as you can get from what I do. So immediate excitement was followed by immediate disappointment. I really think I'm going to end up waiting until the next hiring season--probably would be in my best interest for completing the dissertation this year anyways.
But back to the introduction that will never end. I keep finding holes to patch in Chapter One, but it feels a great deal like attempting to patch up one of Lil Kim's outfits--you're going to use so much fabric, you might as well buy a new outfit. It almost feels like I should start over with a new chapter, but I know that would only frustrate me more. So I'm forcing myself to focus on just two things for the rest of the night--strong transitions and topic sentences. I am tempted to add some political cartoons I found of Condoleezza Rice that further illustrate my point, but of course, that is just adding more work to this durn chapter. I need to finish what I've started so that I can get this thing off of my desk and out of sight for a while. I'm hungry for feedback on my progress--I mainly want to know if what I'm writing even sounds like a dissertation. I am still having issues with VOICE; I'm not even sure if what I've written so far sounds like me. My gut reaction--it doesn't. I need to read what I've written so far out loud, but I'm too lazy at the moment. Tomorrow.
For now, I AM going to finish these revisions before the sun comes up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(177)
-
▼
July
(23)
- It Seemed Like a Good Idea
- Is Fashion Anti-Intellectual???
- Teaching Portfolio
- Chapter One--OUT!!
- Must Finish Revisions
- Back In Town
- Needs More Revision
- Saturday's Goal: Revise Ch. 1
- Hooked Up, Proper
- Are We Writing Yet??
- Chapter 2--No Pages!!
- Putting Down Chapter One
- Sundays Will Be Optional
- Chapter One Moving Along...Slowly
- Friday Goals: 1.5 out of 3 so far
- Thursday--Progress
- Major Cleaning, Major Thinking, Minor Writing
- I Should Write
- Back on Land
- And Then This Hurricane....
- First Day at Sea
- Florida is Beautiful!!
- 24 Hours In A Day...
-
▼
July
(23)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
1 comments:
Good luck with revisions!
Post a Comment