Post-Proposal Meeting

Well, the dissertation proposal has been officially approved!! My committe was wonderfully supportive and excited about my topic. As one member stated aptly, "I feel like we keep having this conversation." My committee members interrogated my ideas and pointed to a lot of areas where I need to nail things down, some things I definitely knew, some things I had not thought about at all. I am extremely blessed to have committee members who are critical in the most intellectual sense of the word. Each of them has pointed to the size of the project at one point or another, but no one ventured to suggest cutting something. They seem to be in agreement that I have selected interesting subjects for study and that the project has the potential to make important contributions to our field.

So I should feel good right? So much to do, so little time--that' s the bottom line. The only thing I feel right now is overwhelmed. Fortunately, I'm going on vacation. I have been really pushing myself this year to get to this point--I need a serious retreat to get me energized for this last climb. When I get back, I'll be back on the grind--one day at a time until it's done.

3 comments:

Stewgad said...

Mon,
Big congrats on overcoming this major hurdle! Enjoy your well-deserved time off! And, good luck making the transition from student to scholar.

Your topic sounds fascinating. In response to your previous post, when I was an undergrad I did some research on the 20th century woman's movement. (my current work is on the 19th century woman suffrage movement so not much modern media coverage there.) I remember just being totally shocked when I found a New York Times article on a major meeting of feminists that could only talk about what they were wearing (or not -- bras). The articlce did not have anything to say about their politics, ideas, or issues, it was only interested in their clothing. It was gross. And it is perfectly ridiculous that someone in such an eminent position as Ms. Rice should be subjected to the same such bullshit decades later. Although I disagree with her politics, she should absolutely have the right to be treated as a politician, not as an object. It sounds like a great way to open your dissertation.

Mon said...

Stewgad--
Thanks as always for the encouragement and I appreciate the feedback on the intro idea. More details to come when I get back!

RageyOne said...

Congrats on moving forward!