I like mysteries--I love puzzles. But I hate when I can't find something--especially if I should know where it is. I finished up doing some research today on Eva Clayton. I am very proud of myself for sticking to my goal for the week and doing research in the library. Since I was having such a productive time working on Clayton, I thought I would also begin research on my third subject, Lelia Smith. Lelia Smith has been a challenge since I took on this assignment. I knew that she was the first Black female mayor, from the state of Oklahoma and that was pretty much it. I've since come to realize that I don't know her name. Well I do now (I think), but I didn't (maybe still don't). I've seen her listed as Lelia Smith, Lelia Davis, and Lelia Foley. She has not been written on by anyone that I can tell--she doesn't appear in any encyclopedias or books on African-American women that I can find. So today was a detective day--one of those things I love to hate about research. What I am learning about myself is that I'd much rather solve mysteries about historical figures--that's what digging around in archives is all about--I love that process of "unearthing" figures hidden in the past. But man am I starting to loathe looking around rocks for someone who is still living and (apparently) still active in politics. So it has taken some work on my part but I think I have some good leads on Lelia Smith-Davis (still don't know where this Foley part came from). Even found a potential mailing address.
Lesson for today--if you are looking for someone notable, living, yet unknown--might want to try Who's Who--they are professional stalkers apparently.
So with a small sense of accomplishment, I'm going to call it a day--head home--eat and grade some more exciting speeches....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(177)
-
▼
June
(16)
- Post-Proposal Meeting
- Proposal Eve
- Packing Day
- Getting Motivated--Dr. Condoleezza Rice
- Best Last Day Ever!!
- And I Forgot I'm Movin
- Detective Work
- Chapter Two Was Born
- Y Bloggin Is Gonna Be Bad 4 Me
- Eva Clayton
- Research Gem (Rhetoric, Silence, Silencing)
- Dissertation Topic
- Proposal Defense Set!
- Overcoming Proposal Lethargy
- I HATE Moving!
- New Beginnings...
-
▼
June
(16)
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education7 years ago
-
*waves*8 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
2 comments:
I think that many historians become historians simply because our subjects can't talk back, or move away, or do those complicated, real-life things that real people do, like change their names, etc. I love detecting in the past -- where the information stays static, you just have to find it. I don't know how I would deal with current info. Sounds so tricky!
Good for you for accomplishing your goals!
Thanks!! I'm slowly adjusting to doing contemporary research--but I'm definitely starting to miss the nineteenth century already. Once I'm done with these articles, I have a paper in nineteenth century rhetoric that I want to revise to send off for publication. That'll be after July though....
Post a Comment