Today I got to walk around a big auditorium with a little heart sticker on my shirt that said "Bride." I went to the early church service this morning and then took a ride downtown to my first bridal show. It was a lot of fun--information overload--but fun. I got to see for the first time how vendors operate and how you can actually get a vibe for the types of services people provide. Since Dr. J and I don't even have a location yet, it was good to talk to vendors about the various venues they've worked at and I left with a long list of places (as well as some confirmations about a few places we were already considering).
I couldn't really capitalize completely on what was available today (some things like flowers and invitations and DJs--it was just too early to think about). But I did find a photographer that I really clicked with and his prices are well within our budget--his work is BEAUTIFUL and most of all I liked the pride that he took in his work. I do know a little about photography, and I was disappointed by the poor quality in some of the vendors' pictures as well as the more "corporate" attitude they had towards their business. The photographer I liked was there with his wife and they were both very personable and helpful to me with all the questions I had. Dr. J and I will definitely make an appointment to meet with them if we confirm our location for Gorgeous City. Most of the vendors indicated that since we are getting married in March 2008, we still have some time to secure good deals; however, they are already booked up for next spring and starting to fill for next summer and fall so they encouraged us to stay ahead of the gang. They definitely indicated that the good locations go quickly around here so I hope that Dr. J and I can secure a site by the end of October. It won't be a need to rush at all if we decide to get married in Hometown--there just isn't a high demand there.
In addition to a potential photographer, one of the few African American vendors there was a Mary Kay consultant. I had a great time talking with her and she has her own skincare salon. I have definite skin and hair issues that have worsened since I've moved back to the South. So it was good to make a connection with a professional woman of color who understands the unique skin issues that Black women have and the challenges of having a semi-natural hairstyle. She offered a free facial so I will definitely take her up on that soon. I would love to get my skin in better shape--especially the blemishes on my back that I am sometimes very self-conscious about.
Last but not least--I got a bag full of goodies today!! So I have my very own wedding tote bag after all. Sure it is not as "cutsie" but it will definitely serve the purpose. I was so overwhelmed with information that I didn't go through the bag when I got in--I think I'm going to wait until I see Dr. J at the end of the week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education8 years ago
-
*waves*9 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
2 comments:
Sounds like a good day and even better that you received a bag!
bridal showers are so much fun! i still have my pink "bride to be" pin.
Post a Comment