Over the Hills and Thru the Woods

Too much time has passed since my last trip to University Town to see Dr. J. For an assortment of reasons, both positive and negative, Dr. J has done most of the driving to see me in the past 6 months. I am so glad to finally be in a place (physically, emotionally, FINANCIALLY) to go and see him pretty much whenever I'd like to. Sure there is a bit longer drive now, but my beautiful schedule and my more stable paychecks mean that I can definitely take more opportunities to visit him in his final months in University Town. I am looking forward to just seeing his face after these few weeks apart.

I think sometimes about how it feels to be away from him, and I imagine it would only be a more intense pain if we were to marry soon and still be 300+ miles from each other. We are truly hoping and (more importantly) praying that our career paths will intersect as needed by the 2008-2009 school year. It is a little nerve-racking not to know the details at this point--but who doesn't want to know the future at some point or another? I mean, wouldn't that be handy! I'm no Dionne Warwick, but I do know that I am going to enjoy going out on a few dates with my fiance this weekend. And for now, that will do.

2 comments:

Flavia said...

Oh, I hear you on this one!

I'll say, though, that now that I have a job and am (reasonably) settled in this location, I'm feeling more anxious to be married--it was so hard to be filling out all that new-hire paperwork and to realize that there was hardly any point in putting down GWB as my "emergency contact"--since we live hundreds of miles away--and that I didn't feel comfortable putting him down as my beneficiary on my retirement and insurance plans.

Those things really brought home to me how temporary a relationship can feel, even after years together, when you're neither married nor live in the same location. It would be hard to be married and to be apart, but at least that formal, public bond does something to cement your love for and commitment to each other, wherever you may be.

I'm hoping and praying that you and Dr. J--and all the rest of us LDR-ers--can bring it all together in one place, and soon.

RageyOne said...

Way to think positive about the future. Have fun this weekend and be careful on the roads.