Facing Week Three--Already

It is incredible how the first two weeks of classes have flown by already. I'm already exhausted and wishing that Fall Break was here. But I'm also feeling more confident--more assured about my classes. My Major Course, which I'm teaching only for the third time, is finally feeling comfortable. From its inception, it has been a fun course to teach--it encourages student discussion on a lot of current events. However, this semester I can already see that I am getting better at encouraging student discussions. I lead conversations less; I let the material dictate more. I'm more comfortable with getting off track. I'm more comfortable with throwing the class back on track when necessary. My use of technology is definitely more effective. And most of all, I'm having more fun.

My spirit is lighter this semester. Despite the fact that Dr. J and I are farther apart than every and I miss him terribly, I finally feel like each week down is one week closer to our marriage and our life together. Yes, that's always been the case--its not like the wedding date has moved--but it feels more real now. There is definitely something to his just being done with school and having a place that will soon be our home that makes everything all the more real. The light is finally appearing at the end of the tunnel.

But I digress, week three is approaching and I am looking forward to Specialty Course. I think I have overcome my discouragement about the last Specialty Course I taught. It helps to have more students in this course who are vocal--and the topic is more appealing to a broad audience. Still, the change is most apparent in the way I feel about teaching the class--even though I am not a practitioner in this area and it really isn't my specialty. I am, so far at least, enjoying the challenge and really trying to let my personal interests and excitement about the topic drive the course. I'm letting go of the areas I know little to nothing about and scheduling helps a great deal with that.

Now of course, this is all before any major grading is done.

0 comments: