After two grueling weeks, I've made it through our institution's intensive training program for faculty. It was excellent--I learned soo much. But goodness I am exhausted. The program was just further confirmation that I am fortunate to not have a job that requires me to sit at a desk from 8-5. Just the sitting for so long was rough. Add to that hours of techno-speak that was at times too remedial and at other times too advance--it was a demanding program. The rewards, however, definitely outweighed the demands. I have so many wonderful classroom ideas and so much great software and hardware to work with. My favorite new program of the day is Audacity which you can do a lot of easy sound recording and editing with.
I'm also itching even more now for a new personal computer. I've been using my school laptop all year because my dissertation machine crashes every day. I had serious Mac-envy during this seminar, but today I fell in love with the Tablet PC. How cool would it be to read and comment on papers on the screen?? After lugging a stack of 75 student writing packs of 20-40 pages around at the end of last year, I definitely would love to go entirely electronic one of these days.
I'm completely exhausted, but still awake. Why? I have to give a speech in the morning in Hometown. So I'll be up at 6 in the morning again to take the drive. Dr. J and I also have another counseling session tomorrow so we'll be in Hometown all day. I wish I hadn't packed so much into my end of the summer schedule because Dr. J is leaving town NEXT WEEK. The summer has gone by too fast and I do wish I had a bit more time to spend with him. But now I have to seriously get back into school mode. In the words of one of my colleagues yesterday, "well, I guess that's what August is for."
On a separate note: GO BONDS!!! 754 BABY!!! SHAKE THOSE HATERS OFF!!!
(another day I must address the disproportionate negative media treatment of a Black male athlete who has repeatedly tested negatively)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education8 years ago
-
*waves*9 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
3 comments:
Well, congrats on completing your training sessions. Now you know everything about faculty-hood, yes? LOL Re: your new computer thoughts: I recently returned to a Mac after a 10-year hiatus. I do not regret it one bit, though there was somewhat of a learning curve at the start as I became acquainted with all the new features. Take care!
Sounds like a great session you went through. I've heard nothing but positive things about Audacity.
I am definitely a seasoned faculty member now LOL! I should have taken the time at the seminar to learn the Mac--maybe next summer...
Ragey, it really is the bomb. I just got some more information on it today about updating your sound card so that the program can record anything that plays on your computer
Post a Comment