I got up early this morning to go to an event, but it was rained out. So I've spent a few hours putting together a conference abstract. Why is such a simple process sometimes so time-consuming? In this case, I know it is because I am still shaping and reshaping the argument in this paper, but I wish that I didn't have the problem of finding the argument so often. I always have a topic/subject I want to discuss, but articulating the one scholarly argument that will "contribute" to the field frequently seems to allude me. I end up with pages and pages of descriptive prose and little to no analysis. (This is probably why I still haven't published anything four years and two jobs post-dissertation.)
So in my article drafts and upcoming conference works, I'm working really hard to keep my eye to the argument first before getting into the wonderful texts and people I love discussing.
This is hard work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Married. Relocated. Teaching. Writing. Believing. Dreaming.
--Dr. Mon
--Dr. Mon
Blogs I'm Rediscovering
-
-
Tourist Day 1 Recap1 year ago
-
Social media in education8 years ago
-
*waves*9 years ago
-
Secret thank you to a stranger11 years ago
-
-
-
Housekeeping13 years ago
-
-
This blog has hit the road. . .15 years ago
-
-
-
Labels
Black studies
(17)
Black women
(12)
TV
(1)
blog
(11)
defense
(10)
dissertation
(200)
faculty life
(29)
hair
(2)
job
(6)
job market
(32)
just me
(76)
married life
(5)
meme
(31)
music
(2)
poetry
(11)
politics
(11)
pubs and papers
(20)
race class gender
(7)
relationship
(36)
sports
(1)
students
(2)
teaching
(25)
technology
(2)
wedding
(27)
women's history
(5)
writing
(11)
0 comments:
Post a Comment