Home Sweet Home

Today is my first day waking up in my new home. I've been sleeping most of the day--I didn't get anywhere near the amount of sleep that I needed during wedding week. So it was wonderful to just lounge around our apartment in River City and sleep all day.

Of course, the rough part of the day was that Dr. J was not here. We both were invited to campus visits this week. We decided to decline mine since it was an hour away from River City and the other school I interviewed at here pretty much told me the job was mine pending paperwork. And we decided that he should go to his visit in the Northeast. We need some negotiating room and an offer from this school would definitely put us in a good position to negotiate with the other two schools we interviewed with to find the best place for us. So fortunately, Northeastern school was able to arrange for him to fly from Hometown where we got married yesterday morning and then they will fly him to River City tonight. I think my mother is more upset about our small separation than I am. I was sad for a while, but after years of a long distance relationship, I can deal with one night a part. And since we're not leaving for our honeymoon until next week, this was a good time to get all of the professional business out of the way. Ideally, we'll get any offers before we leave so we can make our final decisions about where we'll start our life together on the beaches of Hawaii!

I believe I got my official offer call today while I was napping. The voicemail was short and positive--"We would like to talk to you about working here at River City." So it looks like even if we are not courted away by one of the big schools Dr. J interviewed with, we will definitely finally have the opportunity to live and work in the same city!!

2 comments:

phd me said...

Oh, this is good news! Enjoy that new home and all the good things on the horizon (like that honeymoon in Hawaii!).

RageyOne said...

that is wonderful news! all the best with the negotiations, and have a wonderful time on your honeymoon!