I'm back in Gorgeous City to pack my stuff. Yup, it is official, I'm leaving my HomeState and my very first academic job to join Dr. J in River City. I've accepted a position just outside of River City in Dry County--the first college town I've ever been to where you can't buy a drink. (More job talk later).
So that's the big news. We procrastinated on this decision for a while because we are just enjoying our honeymoon, but since no better offers came up for Dr. J to leave River City and there is nothing for him here, we decided to start our life in a new part of the country. We've never lived in a land-locked state, never heard a tornado siren until we got there, never knew people ate barbecue with something other than rice, so yeah it is going to be interesting. But I'm excited. I love waking up to him everyday--love being able to talk to him without picking up the phone. And I could even get used to being home full-time (the past few weeks without work commitments were wonderful).
In a short time, I've grown quite used to being with Dr. J all the time. Now that I'm back in HomeState without him, I feel quite homesick even though this is supposed to be "home." I have a lot of work to do--finding movers, finding a reliable car that I can drive back, quitting my job--but I really don't feel like doing much. I've been doing a lot of looking at my wedding pictures and watching our video--sad isn't it. Hopefully things will pick up today. Dr. J's cousin is selling her older car, so I'm picking it up and taking it to my mechanic back in Hometown to look it over. It would be awesome if he signed off on the purchase--then I might get more motivated.
But I miss my husband.
11 comments:
Oh, congrats on the new position! I think it's rather fitting that you have a new job as you start a new phase of your life with Dr. J. I hope the move - and all that it entails - goes as smoothly as possible.
And you are absolutely allowed to miss your husband!
Those are beautiful photos! Congrats on the new job! It is totally understandable that you are missing Dr. J. Just keep your eye on what you have to do, in the present, and know that in due time you two will be together each and every day.
I've read your blog regularly for awhile, but haven't commented. However, those photos call for a comment. They are gorgeous. Congratulations!
Thanks for your kind words ladies! I'm hanging in here but man I hate moving!
Hermance--thanks for stopping by! Hopefully I'll have more for you to read this month :)!
Hi,
I have been reading your blog for about a year now. I am in my final dissertation phase and finishing up my first year as a tenure track professor. Your blog has been very inspirational, but this entry was timely and comforting. I just yesterday signed a contract to move to the midwest to b closer to my guy. It was a tough decision but it was time. Thank you for being so honest with your life, it has been helpful for me, as I navigate the tenure track, life, and love. Thanks again.
Melissa
Melissa--
Thanks for the note and congratulations to you on your new position. It is tough--especially when much of academia tells you to put your job first and your life later. But my feeling is that you have to be happy and comfortable to do your job well. Best wishes to you!
Hey Dr. Mon,
I've been away from posting on other blogs for a while, and just waned to say congrats -- on your marriage, on your job, on your new life.
I, too, have followed my husband from place to place and wound up in a job that I love that is close to him, so it can work out well.
Anyway, happy new life!! Congrats!!
congrats on getting a position! here in tokyo, it's so hard to get academic positions these days ;-(
bade
thanks for the share
nice website good read
Post a Comment